Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Removing a Broken Tap

Removing a broken tap can be challenging. In a perfect world, taps would never break, however, this is not a perfect world. The method of removal depends on how the tap broke and the size of the tap, and the size and shape of the work piece that it broke off in.

If a tap breaks off laterally and part of the tap is out of the work piece far enough...grab it with vise grips or pilers and twist it out.


If a tap breaks off laterally and you can't use vise grips or pliers, then use a Tap Extractor to twist it out.



















I would not recommend welding a screw to the tap, the heat will make the tap even more brittle and weld splatter can become an issue.


Easy-Outs DO NOT work for taps, they only work for screws and bolts.


If the tap shatters inside the work piece (which is most often the case), The method used would greatly depend in the size and shape of the work piece.


EDM Electrode is the best method if possible. You can use a Portable EDM or a EDM Electrode machine.


There are times when you don't have the EDM equipment availability. I would not recommend Drilling it out because the drill point will deflect to the softer metal of the work piece.



I would recommend using a centercutting carbide endmill with a smaller diameter than the minor diameter of the tap, securing the workpiece in a milling machine. When using this method, use a very high spindle rpm and a slow peck feed and compressed air to remove debris. If you are using a Bridgeport mill, then don't use the quill to feed it, use the table and slowly peck feed up. When using a CNC mill, then manually peck feed it in using the "Handle" function. If the Workpiece is too large for the nearest available mill or EDM, then use a hand Dremeling Tool and a carbide bit to grind it out. Regardless if you EDM, Mill or Dremel the broken tap out, you will have to use tweezers or a hard sharp pointed object to dig out the small teeth of the tap after the core is removed.


Remember to always use Safety Glasses or Face Shield.

2 comments:

John Laura said...

Broken Tap Removal. by John. tap1. This isn't so much a project as it is a useful trick. I was working on a large steel plate today and I had several hours machine ...

Suraj said...

Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.